At Birdy, your privacy is a core consideration for the way we design and build the services and products you know and love, so that you can fully trust them and focus on building meaningful connections.
We appreciate that you put your trust in us when you provide us with your information and we do not take this lightly.
You can always contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
We appreciate that you trust us with your information and we intend to always keep that trust. This starts with making sure you understand the information we collect, why we collect it, how it is used and your choices regarding your information.
EFFECTIVE DATE: February 7, 2020
- 1. WHO WE ARE
- 3. INFORMATION WE COLLECT
- 4. COOKIES AND OTHER SIMILAR DATA COLLECTION TECHNOLOGIES
- 5. HOW WE USE INFORMATION
- 6. HOW WE SHARE INFORMATION
- 7. CROSS-BORDER DATA STORAGE
- 8. YOUR RIGHTS
- 9. HOW WE PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION
- 10. HOW LONG WE RETAIN YOUR INFORMATION
- 11. CHILDREN’S PRIVACY
- 13. HOW TO CONTACT US
1. WHO WE ARE
The company responsible for your information is:
Personality System, LLC
175 West Putnam Ave
Greenwich, CT 06831
3. INFORMATION WE COLLECT
It goes without saying, we can’t help you develop meaningful and compatible connections without some information about you. We need this information to create your account, determine your personality type and find the best match for you in our user base. You can request a copy of your personal information at email@example.com.
You choose to give us certain information when using our services. This includes:
- Your login credentials, name, email address, date of birth and gender.
- Your sexual orientation and age and location preferences regarding a partner.
- If you give us permission, we can collect your precise geolocation (latitude and longitude) through your GPS. The collection of your geolocation may occur in the background even when you aren’t using the services if the permission you gave us expressly permits such collection. If you decline permission for us to collect your geolocation, we will not collect it.
- Your answers to our personality tests and the personality type that result from them.
- Information that you share about your personality, lifestyle, interests and other details about you, as well as content such as photos in your profile. To add certain content, like pictures, you may allow us to access your camera or photo album.
- Information about which features you’ve used, how you’ve used them and the devices you use to access our services.(e.g., date and time you logged in, features you’ve been using, searches, clicks and pages which have been shown to you, referring webpage address, advertising that you click on) and how you interact with other users (e.g., users you connect and interact with, time and date of your exchanges, number of messages you send and receive).
- If you sign up through social media (such as Facebook Login) to create and log into your Birdy account, some information from your social media account is shared with us such as name and date of birth.
- Info about you from our partners, for instance where Birdy ads are published on a partner’s websites and platforms (in which case they may pass along details on a campaign’s success).
By choosing to provide this information, you consent to our processing of that information.
4. COOKIES AND OTHER SIMILAR DATA COLLECTION TECHNOLOGIES
5. HOW WE USE INFORMATION
The main reason we use your information is to deliver and improve our services. Additionally, we use your info to help keep you safe. Read on for a more detailed explanation of the various reasons we use your information, together with practical examples.
To administer your account and provide our services to you
- Create and manage your account
- Provide you with customer support and respond to your requests
- Communicate with you about our services
To help you connect with other users
- Finding your personality type, analyze your profile and answers to our questionnaires, activity on the service, and preferences to recommend meaningful connections to you and recommend you to others
- Show users’ profiles to one another
To improve our services and develop new ones
- Administer focus groups and surveys
- Conduct research and analysis of users’ behavior to improve our services and content (for instance, we may decide to change the look and feel or even substantially modify a given feature based on users’ behavior)
- Develop new features and services (for example, we may decide to build a new interests-based feature further to requests received from users).
To prevent, detect and fight fraud or other illegal or unauthorized activities
- Address ongoing or alleged misbehavior on and off-platform
- Perform data analysis to better understand and design countermeasures against these activities
- Retain data related to fraudulent activities to prevent against recurrences
To ensure legal compliance
- Comply with legal requirements
- Assist law enforcement
- Enforce or exercise our rights, for example our Terms
To process your information as described above, we rely on the following legal bases:
- Provide our service to you: Most of the time, the reason we process your information is to perform the contract that you have with us. For instance, as you go about using our service to build meaningful connections, we use your information to maintain your account and your profile, to make it viewable to other users and recommend other users to you.
- Legitimate interests: We may use your information where we have legitimate interests to do so. For instance, we analyze users’ behavior on our services to continuously improve our offerings, we suggest offers we think might interest you, and we process information for administrative, fraud detection and other legal purposes.
- Consent: From time to time, we may ask for your consent to use your information for certain specific reasons. You may withdraw your consent at any time directly in your phone settings.
6. HOW WE SHARE INFORMATION
Since our goal is to help you make meaningful connections, the main sharing of users’ information is, of course, with other users. We also share some users’ information with service providers and partners who assist us in operating the services, and in some cases, legal authorities. Read on for more details about how your information is shared with others.
- With other users
You share information with other users when you voluntarily disclose information on the service (including your public profile). Please be careful with your information and make sure that the content you share is stuff that you’re comfortable being publically viewable since neither you nor we can control what others do with your information once you share it.
- With our service providers
We use third parties to help us operate and improve our services. These third parties assist us with data hosting and maintenance, account creation, analytics, emailing and payment processing. We currently use Heroku, AWS, Facebook, Google, Apple, Branch, Firebase and Mailjet as third parties.
- For corporate transactions
We may transfer your information if we are involved, whether in whole or in part, in a merger, sale, acquisition, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, bankruptcy or other change of ownership or control.
- When required by law
We may disclose your information if reasonably necessary: (i) to comply with a legal process, such as a court order, subpoena or search warrant, government / law enforcement investigation or other legal requirements; (ii) to assist in the prevention or detection of crime (subject in each case to applicable law); or (iii) to protect the safety of any person.
- To enforce legal rights
We may also share information: (i) if disclosure would mitigate our liability in an actual or threatened lawsuit; (ii) as necessary to protect our legal rights and legal rights of our users, business partners or other interested parties; (iii) to enforce our agreements with you; and (iv) to investigate, prevent, or take other action regarding illegal activity, suspected fraud or other wrongdoing.
7. CROSS-BORDER DATA STORAGE
Sharing of information laid out in Section 6 sometimes involves cross-border storage, for instance to the United States of America and Europe. As an example, where the service allows for users to be located in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), some of their personal information is stored in the United States of America.
8. YOUR RIGHTS
We want you to be in control of your information, so we have provided you with the following tools:
- Access / Update tools in the service. Tools and account settings that help you to access, rectify or delete information that you provided to us and that’s associated with your account directly within the service. If you have any questions on those tools and settings, please email our team for help at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Device permissions. Mobile platforms have permission systems for specific types of device data and notifications, such as phone book and location services as well as push notifications. You can change your settings on your device to either consent or oppose the collection of the corresponding information or the display of the corresponding notifications. Of course, if you do that, certain services may lose full functionality.
- Deletion. You can delete your account by using the corresponding functionality directly on the service.
We want you to be aware of your privacy rights. Here are a few key points to remember:
- Reviewing your information. Applicable privacy laws may give you the right to review the personal information we keep about you. You can request a copy of your personal information at email@example.com.
- Updating your information. If you believe that the information we hold about you is inaccurate or that we are no longer entitled to use it and want to request its rectification, deletion or object to its processing, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For your protection and the protection of all of our users, we will ask you to provide proof of identity before we can answer the above requests.
Keep in mind, we may reject requests for certain reasons, including if the request is unlawful or if it may infringe on trade secrets or intellectual property or the privacy of another user. If you wish to receive information relating to another user, such as a copy of any messages you received from him or her through our service, the other user will have to contact our Privacy Officer to provide their written consent before the information is released.
- Uninstall. You can stop all information collection by an app by uninstalling it using the standard uninstall process for your device. If you uninstall the app from your mobile device, the unique identifier associated with your device will continue to be stored. If you reinstall the application on the same mobile device, we will be able to re-associate this identifier to your previous transactions and activities.
- Accountability. In certain countries, you have a right to lodge a complaint with the appropriate data protection authority if you have concerns about how we process your personal information. The data protection authority you can lodge a complaint with notably may be that of your habitual residence, where you work or where we are established.
9. HOW WE PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION
We work hard to protect you from unauthorized access to or alteration, disclosure or destruction of your personal information. As with all technology companies, although we take steps to secure your information, we do not promise, and you should not expect, that your personal information will always remain secure.
We may suspend your use of all or part of the services without notice if we suspect or detect any breach of security. If you believe that your account or information is no longer secure, please notify us immediately at email@example.com.
10. HOW LONG WE RETAIN YOUR INFORMATION
We keep your personal information only as long as we need it for legitimate business purposes (as laid out in Section 5) and as permitted by applicable law. In practice, we delete or anonymize your information upon deletion of your account or after two years of continuous inactivity, unless:
- there is an outstanding issue, claim or dispute requiring us to keep the relevant information until it is resolved; or
- the information must be kept for our legitimate business interests, such as fraud prevention and enhancing users’ safety and security. For example, information may need to be kept to prevent a user who was banned for unsafe behavior or security incidents from opening a new account.
Keep in mind that even though our systems are designed to carry out data deletion processes according to the above guidelines, we cannot promise that all data will be deleted within a specific time frame due to technical constraints.
12. CHILDREN’S PRIVACY
Our services are restricted to users who are 18 years of age or older. We do not permit users under the age of 18 on our platform and we do not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 18.
Because we’re always looking for new and innovative ways to help you build meaningful connections, this policy may change over time. We will notify you before any material changes take effect so that you have time to review the changes.
14. HOW TO CONTACT US